Sunday, April 25, 2010

Totally Random



When I got married I was given a wonderful cookbook from my father and step-mom. I have tried many recipes out of this book over the years and all of the recipes have worked! Which is amazing to me. I have bought many cookbooks that looked so awesome, but the recipes never worked out...something was always wrong. I do not know how people can publish a book without trying out their own recipes to see if they will work. I made a fish recipe that called for three kinds of flavors that all had salt in them...yuck...it was WAY too salty to even eat when the fish was all done. Anyways, over the years I have been looking through, this cookbook my father and step-mom had given me and looking at all of the yummy cakes that one could make, if they had the time and energy. 15 years later I think I have found the time. I set a goal this year to make every cake in the Betty Crocker Cookbook. I figured that if I made one cake a week, we could make this goal. This weeks cake was a Pineapple Upside Down Cake. Sashi and I made this together. I would measure all the ingredients out and Sashi would pour them into the bowl and mix. When it came down to assemble it Sashi decided that she wanted to eat all the pineapple out of the can instead of putting the slices on the cake. I had to bargain with her to decorate the cake first and then we would save slices for her to eat later. She was ok with this and we made a very pretty little cake.



Today Sashi and Ian wanted to ride their bikes for family home evening. So Genji brought up Sashi's bike from downstairs and we all went outside. Ian went flying down the hill at top speed. Then he would stop look to see where we were and ride is bike back up to where we were. Sashi would very carefully pedal her bike down the hill, only taking her feet off the breaks once or twice to see if she was brave enough to go down the hill really fast. I can not tell you how many times on our little walk did my heart almost stop beating. It is frightening to watch your child stop just in time when a car is coming up the street. It is terrifying to watch your child slide on gravel losing control just for a few seconds and then regaining control. It is horrifying to watch your child not watch where they are going and ride right into the middle of the street. I want my children to have freedom to roam and play, but golly, they can not die in front of me...they have to wait until I turn my back.

We were eating Popsicles the other day and Sashi was brushing her teeth with a strawberry ice treat. My hubby and she had a wonderful conversation and I caught all of it.

Hubby: Sashi are you brushing your teeth with a Popsicle?
Sashi: Yes, watch..it makes a funny sound.
Hubby: You know you are going to have to brush your teeth extra well tonight, don't you.
Sashi: No daddy these are sugar free

Ian and I were learning about slavery the other day. We learned how the early slaves of America could earn their freedom if they worked for their masters for so many years. Ian really thought about this and then asked me a few question.

Ian: Mom, I think the early slaves of America were lucky, they could have their own farms and have white people help to harvest their crops.
Mom: This is true.
Ian: Mom, why did slaves later on lose this gift?
Mom: Ian, men became more selfish and didn't want to realise their slaves. They could produce more crops with the slaves help.
Ian: Didn't the slave owners know they were not being fair?
Mom: I do not think they thought the slaves to be people anymore Ian, only property.
Ian: Well, if I had slaves...I would treat them like family and they could have Sundays off and I would never beat them.

I love my children.

1 comment:

Maraiya said...

The cake looks great and I'm sure your family is quite happy that you've decided to try all those recipes. (My kids would be over the moon!)

Sashi will get better at the bike riding....she's further ahead than Lulu! ;)