Monday, November 22, 2010

Thanksgiving Countdown



Oh, I am so excited! It is almost Thanksgiving time!! My home is all a bustle with the merriment of decorating for this wonderful holiday. Last week Sashi, Ian and I made hand print turkeys, cornucopias, pilgrims and thankful dots and plastered these all over the house. Our home is looking so festive! I adore all holidays, but thanksgiving is one of my favorites. I enjoy teaching the kids about the pilgrims and their quest for religious freedoms. I love to tell them how strong willed these people were to move away from everything they knew and to "start over." I have them imagine what this would be like, to be a pilgrim. Ian thinks it would be too hard to live back then, because he doesn't know how to farm. "We would all die mom, becasue I can't grow food." Sashi thinks it is dumb not take bathes and she wonders why the pilgrims didn't like to be clean. "Don't they like soap mama?"

For school one day we played a game called being thankful. Each kid had to tell me what they were thankful for and then write it on a big dot. Then, each of these dots were placed on the wall as fast as they could put them up. The goal was to get as many dots as they could on the wall. Our house is covered in these dots. The kids wrote things they were thankful for here is just a few: food, blankets, soap, TV, video games, medicine, doctors, clothes, toys, shoes, tub, shower, bed...etc. When you come into our house, it is easy to laugh because of the chaos on my walls. Ian thought it would be funny to play a joke on his dad.
(Hubby walking into the the house)
Ian: Dad are you feeling well?
Dad: Um, yes I feel fine.
Ian: Are you sure?
Dad: Yes (pause and looking around)
Ian: Do you see spots before your eyes?
Dad: Yes, I do see spots! (Dad is now laughing at all the thankful dots)

Did I tell you? I LOVE to cook and bake. This is another reason why I totally love this holiday. I love to try new recipes and will bake and bake. The house smells so yummy. I adore the smell of cloves and nutmeg!

Thanksgiving is a time for family and friends to get together and to rejoice in life. It is a time to thank God for everything that we have. I love being thankful. I think it is one of the most important things to do in life. It is wonderful to be grateful.

I am thankful for life and the joy it brings me each and everyday. I hope there are holidays in heaven, because I do not think I could live without them.

2 comments:

Chiska said...

Thank you Mia, for this lovely post.

Maraiya said...

I like the interplay between Genji and Ian. Very cute.