Monday, November 1, 2010

Christmas Is Coming



(Singing in my head)
Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat
Please put a penny in the old man's hat.
If you haven't got a penny, a ha' penny will do,
If you haven't got a ha' penny, then God bless you.

I adore Christmas music. I enjoy the simple stories that are told through song. I love how the music makes my heart dance. I crave it and can not wait until I can blare it throughout the house. I sing with my children and share what the songs mean. Today we went over the song Good King Wenceslas.


Good King Wenceslas looked out
On the feast of Stephen
When the snow lay round about
Deep and crisp and even
Brightly shone the moon that night
Though the frost was cruel
When a poor man came in sight
Gath'ring winter fuel

Ian, Sashi and I went line for line talking about everything that was going on in the song. We talked about how important it is to help others and to see when people are in need. It brought me joy to sing and teach a song that I have always loved. Another love of my life is this man

I truly love this man.... Mr. Bing Crosby. His voice is amazing and I could listen to him forever, but when you pair up his voice with Christmas songs...WOW! My Children can recognize his voice and will yell "Is that Bing?" Their favorite song that Bing sings is:

Pat-A-Pan
Willie, take your little drum
Robin bring your fife and come
When we play the fife and drum

Tu-re-lu-re-lu
Pat-a-pat-a-pan
When we play the fife and drum
Christmas shall very joyful be

Like the men of olden days
Who the king of kings did praise
With the sound of fife and drum

Tu-re-lu-re-lu
Pat-a-pat-a-pan
With the sound of fife and drum
To the Lord we shall bring our praise

For the last two weeks my kids and I get into the car and drive around with Christmas music blaring away.
They sing with gusto with "my man Bing." It makes me smile to know that I am making memories with my children. I know they will always remember singing in the car with Bing and mom.




Here is a secret (whispering) I have to play Christmas music in my car because my husband doesn't like Holiday music in the house before December 1st. I try and be respectful and wait, but in the car it is fair game =)

2 comments:

Erin said...

I've started humming carols in my head lately. Our family loves the first song you listed "Christmas is coming". We have it on a muppet cd and it just isn't Christmas without that song :)

Maraiya said...

I thought, when we rehashed phantom man's complaints regarding my childhood singing of Christmas songs in July, that he said he was no longer so averse to out of season holiday songs. . . .guess not. Less than a month to go and then your house can ring with happy tunes!