Thursday, November 4, 2010

Piano Mama



When I was a young girl I used to take piano lessons. I learned my scales and all the notes and would practice for hours. I loved playing. The music I could make brought joy to my heart and I craved to hear it after a long day of school. I would jump onto the piano bench and let my fingers go. If my day was happy I would play a waltz or a ballad...if my day was stressful I would go after the marches and fast songs. The faster I would play the more the stress seemed to magically melt away. When I became a teenager I found the piano was a good friend to lean on when I was down. The music I played made me feel cheerful and I liked that happy feeling .. I played the piano a lot as a teen. While I was at college my father had a piano and I would go downstairs and play when I needed a stress relief. I played all the way up to getting married. My husband I moved and we didn't have a piano. Life got busy and the piano playing stopped. I had to work and then I had children. I had more imporatant things to do then to play on a piano. I missed playing. I would tell my husband that I needed a piano, because I was forgetting how to play. Then last year we bought a piano. The joy that I felt when we brought the piano into the house can not be put into words. I cried. I remember feeling complete, as silly as that sounds. I sat down on the piano bench and started to play the one song that I could remember. I played the song three times. While I played my children came and sat down beside me and listened.
I did get very rusty over the years. I laugh how I can't remember my left hand. I know it is somewhere in my memory but I have to find it. I play every day starting over relearning everything I have forgotten. I play my son's piano book and practice when I can. I can feel the left hand coming back. I played the Entertainer the other night and Ian came up to me and said, "Wow! Mom that sounds good." This made me very happy. I am now working on Christmas songs. It is wonderful to have my beloved piano back in my life.

2 comments:

Maraiya said...

YEA!! I completely understand what you mean. I'm glad the left hand is coming back.

Chiska said...

Yea! I had a similar experience when we cleaned the church and I sat down and played the one primary song I know. It was so soothing. There was a piano for sale on halloween and I wanted to try and make room in the budget for it, but it would not fit in the little place we're living in....even if we could.